Sunday, September 18, 2016

Blog Post #3

Blog Post #3

A Good Name

    As you might already know my name is Aurora. But my full name is Aurora Sera Unal. I love my name. Even though I am Turkish, my name does not sound Turkish at all. Because it's not. Starting with my first name, Aurora means; lights in both the southern and northern poles caused by the breaking of light and creating a beautiful "Aura" like lights to dance in the sky. How I got this name was, when my mother was pregnant she would look at daily astronomical photos from a specific newsfeed. Decided to name me after Aurora Corealis. Even though my name does not consist the Corealis part it is the origin of my name. But due to cultural difference in my name when I was first born the Turkish council didn't allow me to have this name forcing my parents to give me a Turkish name. My father went through a lot of effort to get my name to be officially in papers as Aurora.

    My second name being Sera, the meaning that can be found online is earth, or the hot tent used to grow plant in colder regions. But the meaning I was given this name is simplicity and beauty like a mansion due to the closeness in words "Sera" and "saray". I have used the name Sera most of the years of my life because most people have difficulties pronouncing Aurora. But I have decided that I don't care how people pronounce it because I prefer my first name due to just preference.

   My last name has a complicated story. It wasn't the original name of my father of his father, it was originally "Karabayram" which translates as dark celebration. My older fathers believed that this brought bad luck to our family for many years in every important celebration that we had so my grandfather decided to change our last name to "Ünal" which is pronounced as "uhr-nal" but since no one except Germans or Turkish people understand it or can pronounce it as a family we do not use the dots and just pronounce it as "you-nal". Since my last name is also changed into something that isn't Turkish it is easy to be mistaken as an American, German or Russian since I can speak all of those language to confuse people.

Sincerely,
Aurora Sera Unal

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aurora, i agree on how the meaning "light" projects you because you're really radiant when talking to your group of friends. i find it really interesting how you know so many languages, and it really impresses me. your name does not seem turkish at all haha but it's a unique name in all. What are some of your favourite Turkish names?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This is the second time i have written this comment because for some reason it did not register the first time but biggie. Anyways, Aurora I absolutely loved this blog post as it is fascinating to learn about the many meanings and languages associated with your name. You have given me a lot of knowledge about things I would never comprehend especially when my names don't have as a cultural and lingual influence as yours. I found it fascinating to read about the troubles your family had with your name in Turkey. Do you agree with you relatives that "Karabayram" could have brought bad luck to your family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was both cultural and it did bring bad luck to the whole family where something ALWAYS went wrong but yes i agree and i am so thankfull that is not my last name :D

      Delete